Monday, May 21, 2012

Second Annual Flats and Handwashing Challenge!!!


I am taking part in the Second Annual Flats and Handwashing Challenge hosted by Dirty Diaper Laundry.  For 7 days I will be using only flat cloth diapers and handwashing them in an effort to prove that cloth diapering can be affordable and accessible to all.  You can learn more about the rules and why this challenge was started by visiting the announcement post.  This year there are over 450 participants from all over the world! 


This starts TOMORROW!!! I'm excited, but also a bit nervous as both of my boys are heavy wetters, I have not purchased anything for this event. I will be using 24 flats that I received from a lady several months ago, 3 Small (for EJ) and 2 Medium (for CJ) handmade covers that I received from another cloth diapering mama several months back when I first started CDing. I also have some Tide original powder detergent that I have and was using before switching to the Rockin' Green laundry detergent (see my review for Rockin' Green HERE).

My biggest fear about the Flats Challenge is that I wont be able to rinse the flats and covers well enough and my boys have super sensitive skin and eczema. If they develop a rash I may have to "drop-out" of the Flats and Handwashing Challenge. When I began cloth diapering, the first detergent I used was the Tide original powder that I am using for this challenge, it caused CJ (older of the boys) to have a horrible diaper rash so he had to go back in disposables until I worked up the courage to try cloth again on him with the Rockin' Green detergent. I'm hoping if I RINSE RINSE RINSE then he will do fine. I wasn't rinsing as much when I first started cloth diapering as I am now when using a washer, so fingers and toes are crossed!

Are any of my readers taking part in the Flats and Handwashing Challenge?! Good luck to those of you who are! I will be doing daily blog updates!

No comments:

Post a Comment