Thursday, February 12, 2015

Guest Post: Smile Away, Kiss the Blues Goodbye

Smile Away, Kiss the Blues Goodbye

Disclosure: This is a guest post, I am not the author of this post. I have not been compensated in anyway.
Author: Alyssa Craig

Ok, I’ll be the one to say it: our mouths provide us with some great perks, two of them being smiling and kissing. From improving our health, to even helping us in the workplace, using our mouth definitely makes life better. Read through these fun facts about smiling and kissing and you may be inspired to do a little more of each.


  • If you are having a bad day, smiling can actually improve your mood. It signals the brain to release endorphins that then cause you to feel happy or joyful.
  • Smiling can boost your immune system and help you live seven years longer.
  • Contrary to popular belief, babies are born with the ability to smile.
  • It can take anywhere from 5-53 muscles to smile.
  • Employers are more likely to promote someone who smiles regularly.
  • A smile can be recognized up to 300 feet away.
  • Women smile more than men.
  • Men are more likely to find a woman more attractive initially if she smiles, while women are initially more attracted to the “brooding”, non-smiling look.
  • There are 19 different kinds of smiles.
  • Studies have shown men find smiling is more attractive than makeup. So it might be true you are “never fully dressed without a smile”.
  • Smiling is the universal sign of happiness.


  • 10% of the world does not kiss for cultural reasons and in many countries you may actually be punished for kissing in public.
  • Many animals have their own kind of kiss-like behavior, such as nuzzling and licking. While some primates kiss after a fight to “make up”, other animals simply initiate these activities to mark their territory.
  • While 80% of human saliva is made of the same bacteria, the remaining 20% is different from human to human. This makes kissing a great way to build your immune system, as you are exposed to new bacteria.
  • The increased saliva kissing produces helps keep your teeth clean.
  • Kissing has actually been shown to lower blood pressure.
  • 59% of men and 66% of women become less attracted to a person after kissing them for the first time. So, no pressure.
  • Our lips have a high density of nerve endings compared to other parts of our body, making them super sensitive and thus kissing more enjoyable.
  • The current world record for the longest kiss was set in 2013 and lasted for 58 hrs, 35 mins, and 58 seconds.
  • The average person will kiss for two full weeks of their life.
  • Kissing is a workout, burning 1 to 2 calories per minute.
  • Two-thirds of people tilt their heads to the right when they kiss. One theory as to why this is states that this goes back to our time in the womb when we naturally tilt our heads to the right.
  • Kissing someone releases dopamine, which then goes to the rewards center of the brain. This helps to creates feelings of cravings and desire, encouraging you to engage in kissing again. However, this effect eventually dies down as the brain desensitizes and releases less dopamine. When you're kissing someone with whom you are in a long term relationship the body releases oxytocin instead. This creates strong feelings of peace and relaxation.

Especially in the winter time, your lips might feel more dry and in need of extra attention. Since we have learned more on the importance of smiling and kissing, you will want to make sure your lips are always in tip top shape to make the best impression. Try some of these tips and tricks to get your own set of luscious lips:

  • Use coconut oil to moisturize.
  • Exfoliate your lips, if needed.
  • Drink plenty of water to keep your lips hydrated and avoid caffeinated drinks as they will actually dehydrate you.
  • Wear lip products with SPF to protect the skin of your lips from the damage of the sun.
  • You may even consider fillers to enhance your lip volume and get them looking va-va-voom.

There are so many reasons to keep our lips healthy and the benefits that come from smiling and kissing are only the beginning. So get out your chap stick and put those lips to good work!

No comments:

Post a Comment