20 Great Movies to Enjoy on Lazy Summer Days
Author: Whitney Hollingshead
Disclosure: I am not the author of this post nor do I claim it as my own writing.
After spending a lot of time in the sun, you may want to spend an afternoon inside watching a great movie. With so many video streaming options these days, you have hundreds of choices when deciding on something to watch; however, you can never go wrong with these sure to please films.
I’m in the Mood for a Good Story…
1. Dave - With an election year just around the corner, this story about a man who fills in for the president (because he looks just like him!) will both entertain you and make you think a little more about what it means to be the president.
2. Little Manhattan - This film will take you back to childhood as one boy narrates his first encounters with love. You’ll recognize the lead actor as Peeta from The Hunger Games.
3. The Count of Monte Cristo - Based on the classic novel, this story about an innocent man’s plans for revenge will add excitement to any lazy afternoon. Even if you’ve seen this film before, you’ll most likely enjoy watching it again and again.
I’m in the Mood for Romance...
4. The Shop Around the Corner - If you love You’ve Got Mail and you are open to watching older films, give this film a try. The storyline will seem very familiar as You’ve Got Mail is actually a modern remake of this movie.
5. The Princess Bride - You can’t go wrong with this love story that includes pirates, rodents of unusual size, an epic sword fight, and a giant. If you haven’t seen this film in years, give it another chance this summer.
6. Roman Holiday - Audrey Hepburn won the Academy Award for Best Actress for her starring role in this classic film with Gregory Peck. If you feel like escaping your real life for a few hours this summer, try this story about a princess who needs a break from her demanding life.
I Want to Watch a Movie with My Kids...
7. Madeline - This clever adaptation of the Madeline book series is so downright fun to watch that you won’t mind watching right along with your kids. Although this story focuses on a school for girls, your boys should also enjoy some of Madeline’s sneaky pranks.
8. Babe - If you haven’t watched this heartwarming story about a farm pig since you were a child, now is the perfect time to introduce this timeless animal adventure to your children.
9. Hook - Whatever happened to Peter Pan? If you grew up watching this movie then you already know the rest of the story. Have you shared this fun adventure with your children yet?
10. Chicken Run - What happens when a rooster and a hen fall in love and make plans to run away from the farm? This claymation film will provide entertaining scenes for every member of the family.
11. The Little Rascals (1994 version) - “Quick, what’s the number for 9-1-1?” This movie contains so many fun quotes that your family members are bound to quote this movie for weeks to come.
I’m in the Mood for a Movie that Will Make Me Think…
12. Inception - This movie is so fascinating that you will likely catch something new and intriguing every single time you watch it. If you love a film that sparks the exploration of deep thoughts every time you see it, this is an excellent choice.
13. Life is Beautiful - This film will make you laugh, cry, and think harder about what really matters in life. To best capture the heart of the film, watch the original film with English subtitles, instead of the version in English.
14. The Truman Show - What if your life isn’t real? What if everyone around you is part of a secret plot and paid to interact with you in certain ways? What if your life is secretly broadcast on television? This film will make you question your own reality.
I’m in the Mood for an Inspirational Sports Movie…
15. Miracle - Cool off from the heat of the summer with this film based on the incredible true story of the 1980 U.S. men’s Olympic hockey team and their emotional quest for a gold medal.
16. Field of Dreams - A good old American summer is not complete without some baseball, so why not indulge in this classic baseball film? If you watch it…good things will come.
17. Bend it Like Beckham - If you got into women’s soccer with the Women’s World Cup this year, you will love this film. And even if you haven’t been following soccer this year, you will still enjoy this inspirational story.
I’m in the Mood for Some Classic Action and Adventure...
18. Jurassic Park - Whether or not you saw the newest Jurassic movie this summer, you will enjoy taking a trip down memory lane and revisiting the original film. If by some chance you’ve never seen any of the Jurassic movies, now is the time to see what all of the fuss is about.
19. Top Gun - Have you seen this classic 1980’s film? This film contains just enough of an adrenaline rush and a little romance to entertain nearly everyone.
20. Back to the Future - You really can’t go wrong with the time travel adventures of Marty McFly.
In order to fully enjoy these films on a lazy summer afternoon you will want to create the perfect movie watching environment. Here’s what you will need:
- A cool room (no one wants to melt on the couch!)
- A way to block out the bright sunlight (for the best results, get blackout shades like these)
- Cool treats (consider lemonade or juice bars)
- Classic popcorn (any version will do)
- A device free zone (put down your devices and enjoy the film!)
So bookmark this post for the next time you are in the mood to take a break from the heat and enjoy a good film!
*All of these movies are available online either through instant video, streaming, or through purchasing a DVD copy as of June 2015.